Operations Director Position
Canopy Life International is empowering vulnerable children from rural communities in Kenya to become Godly innovative leaders. We are committed to a future where these students create solutions and start businesses that lead others out of poverty. We do this through a boarding school that is cultivating a new kind of leader for Kenya, one who thinks critically, is innovative, business savvy, emotionally healthy, servant hearted and rooted in Christ. Canopy Life Academy opened its doors in January of 2015, and we currently serve 50 students in grades 4, 5, 9 and 10.
Classification: Full Time (40 Hours), Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Summary/Objective The Operations Director for Canopy Life International will be responsible for maintaining the day-to-day operations of the company as well as working to accomplish the goals set out in the yearly strategic plan. The Operations Director will be responsible for leading the charge of the organization and taking ownership of communication, future strategies and team development with other organizational leadership, team, peers, and partners. The performance of the Operations Director will be evaluated based upon the effective execution of the operational goals within the strategic plan and the ability to innovate and pivot when new issues are presented.
- Organizational Operations – Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible effective administration of Canopy Life operations.
- Ensures that all Canopy Life organizational communications are professional, accurate and timely.
- Analyze, interpret, and apply data to identify key issues and maximize operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff for financial support and administrative areas.
- Assists in the planning, preparation and execution of staff and team meetings.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with Executive Director and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach
- Responsible for implementation of Canopy Life programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for collaborative input on strategic planning to ensure that Canopy Life can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Canopy Life image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
- Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for assisting fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support Canopy Life mission.
- Oversee matters of compliance such as charitable registration, audits, and tax returns as well as collaboration with Development on year-end tax letters.
- Liaise with Kenyan partners to manage wire transfers, budget requests and reports
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Marketing, Public Relations, Human Resources, or commensurate experience
- 5+ years’ experience in Management and operations
- Writing and editing expertise
- Extensive computer skills including, Word; Excel; PowerPoint/Prezi; MailChimp; QuickBooks; graphics design/editing programs; photo editing; and a variety of social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and willingness to learn other online database systems.
- Ability to plan and organize meetings and events
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams. Well-developed interpersonal skills with ability to effectively, interact and collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds and interests as well as cross-cultural environments
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to Travel 1-2 x a year to Kenya
Work Authorization/Security Clearance (If applicable)
- Ability to pass a background check
Qualified applicants must submit a cover letter of interest, resume and a list of references to Canopy Life International through the LinkedIn Job Posting.
Following a review of all resumes, only the most qualified applicants will be contacted for the follow up phone call and in person interview. After the interviews have been completed, a background check and a credit check will be conducted on the candidate being considered for employment. Once these have been completed and reviewed, a conditional offer of employment will be made to the recommended applicant for hire.