Development and Communications Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
JOB DESCRIPTION (SUMMARY)
The Development and Communications Manager will help fulfill the vision and goals set forth in a fundraising and communications plan to increase awareness and commitment to Canopy Life’s mission and to grow revenue through major gifts, annual and monthly donors, foundations, and special events.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise Development and Communications team comprised of the US Programs Coordinator responsible for coordination of donor trips and sponsorships, contract grant writer, and two contract communications team members.
- Design and implement a strategic, comprehensive annual development campaign that consists of individual and major gift appeals, direct and email appeals, and in-kind donations.
- Develop and nurture mutually beneficial partnerships with public/private organizations, businesses, foundations, major gift donors and individuals for sustained philanthropic support of Canopy Life’s mission and programs.
- Work in tandem with the Executive Director and contractor in researching appropriate grants for Canopy Life initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with the Operations and Finance team in managing the donor database, creating quarterly and annual reports.
- Lead in the planning, preparation, and execution of team meetings to support campaign activities, donor relations and special events.
Communication of Mission, Vision and Goals
- Manage contracted communications team in their creation of content that promotes the mission,
work and current events of the organization through multiple platforms.
- Provide direction to contracted communications team in creation of content as it relates to development efforts.
- Provide a leading voice and representation of Canopy Life International to donors and partners through public events and social opportunities
Event Planning and Execution
- Create, organize, and manage yearly events that support the annual campaign as well as specialized events for planned capital campaigns.
- Responsible for management and support of our annual Gala, donor cultivation events, annual report dinner, etc.
- Manage and cultivate key relationships and sponsorships in support of special events.
- Oversee US Programs Coordinator in development of relationships and sponsorships of annual Kenya Trips.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- 3-5 years experience in nonprofit development with a proven record of securing gifts
- Experience in communications development and strategic planning a plus
- Strong written and verbal skills that communicate to and inspire diverse audiences
- Experience in Microsoft Office Suite, MailChimp, social media and online database systems
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize meetings and events
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with ability to effectively interact and collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds and interests as well as cross-cultural environments
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to travel with donors to Kenya 1-2x a year
- Bachelor’s degree
To submit an application for this position, submit your resume and cover letter to https://ourfundraisingsearch.welcomekit.co/
No phone calls or visits, please. If you have application questions, please email them to email@example.com.
Canopy Life International is empowering vulnerable children from rural communities in Kenya to become Godly innovative leaders. We are committed to a future where these students create solutions and start businesses that lead others out of poverty. We do this through a boarding school that is cultivating a new kind of leader for Kenya, one who thinks critically, is innovative, business savvy, emotionally healthy, servant hearted and rooted in Christ. Canopy Life Academy opened its doors in January of 2015, and we currently serve 50 students in grades 4, 5, 9 and 10.